The copayment assistance program has reopened thanks to a very generous donation in loving memory of Helen Slonaker as well as other private donations!
The Brain Tumor Drug Copayment Assistance Program, a program of the Musella Foundation For Brain Tumor Research & Information, Inc., provides financial assistance to families who need help covering the cost of certain drugs used to treat a specific type of grade 3 or grade 4 brain tumor called a glioblastoma multiforme as well as some other types of GRADE 3 or 4 PRIMARY MALIGNANT BRAIN TUMORS, such as: Anaplastic Astrocytoma, Gliosarcoma, High Grade Oligodendroglioma. Other primary malignant brain tumors will be considered on a case by case basis. We CANNOT help people with other tumor types with this program. There is no fee for this assistance, and you will not be obligated to pay it back in any way. We will never tell you which treatment to use, which doctor to use or which pharmacy to use!
- Optune (Novocure)
The Program's resources are limited, but we will help as many families as possible. We will give awards on a first come first served basis until the funds run out - so apply now. There is a yearly maximum per person of $5,000 - which is subject to change. We may be able to (depending on our fund level) start your coverage date up to 3 months prior to the date you first register.
This program is designed to help people who:
- Have a glioblastoma multiforme, or other type of PRIMARY (NOT METASTATIC) MALIGNANT BRAIN TUMORS (Such as Anaplastic Astrocytoma, Gliosarcoma, High Grade Oligodendroglioma), and who use one or more of the drugs covered by the program
- Have insurance that pays for a portion of the drugs
- Are residents of the USA
- Have income that is less than five times higher than the poverty level OR have lost your job due to the brain tumor!
| # of People in Family
|| Max Family Income
| 7 (or more)
If you do not meet these qualifications but are having trouble paying for drugs to treat your brain tumor, you may be able to receive financial assistance from other organizations. See our list of resources here
We will try to make this as easy as possible for you (and your doctor!) but we need to make sure that our limited resources are given to those that need it. To Apply you will need:
- Proof of Diagnosis of a Glioblastoma Multiforme or other malignant glioma. (Grade 3 or 4 only at this time)
- Proof of Income Copy of the first 2 pages of your most recent tax return is best and will result in the quickest decision and best chance for approval. If you did not file taxes, send a signed letter saying you did not file taxes and include proof of income in some other way - such as SSI disability statements. Note that bank statements are no help at all - please do not send them.
- Proof of Insurance that covers the type of treatment you are applying for (Copy of your insurance card)
Once approved, to file a claim you need: (You can send at same time as application or wait until you get a decision)
- A detailed receipt or explanation of benefits that shows: Date dispensed, treatment name, charges, insurance paid, patient responsibility and if patient paid. You can tell us on the claim form if we should pay the patient or the pharmacy / provider.
- Proof that you are not applying for assistance from other services for this same prescription. (A simple 'Pharmacy Certification Form' needs to be filled out by the pharmacist or provider)
We encourage you to apply to all of the other sources of assistance first, and use us as a last resort as we have limited funds.
Complete applications are considered in the order in which they are entered into our system. Sending in a partial application does not hold your place. Hand written applications may take a few additional days to process and if we have trouble reading your handwriting we will reject the application and ask you to start over. The forms are designed to allow you to type directly into them. As the program opens and closes quickly, sending the application by fax instead of by email or mail will save a few days and increase your chances of getting approved before the program closes.
To apply, print out the application packet and fax or mail it to us.
Call us at 1-855-426-2672 (toll free) if you have any questions.